Keeping to the childhood summer tradition of spending time on ambitious projects – almost all of which involved freezing something – here is a quick simple summer-Popsicle idea which can bring back some old memories.
As an additional plus, this can keep your kid-chefs distracted for an entire day!
What you need:
- Vanilla Ice-cream in the summer heat (melted)
- Fanta or really any cola of your choice
- Small plastic tea cups (the chai wallah variety)
- Popsicle sticks
- 2 small pinches of Black salt (optional) for that extra zing!
What to do?
- Line the cups in a plate small enough to fit in your freezer
- Pour the Fanta in a glass and add a dash of black salt.
- Then pour the fanta to 1/8th of the small glasses (enough for the top most layer)
- Keep the the glasses in the freezer till solid (about 2-3 hours)
- Once the first layer freezes, pour the melted vanilla ice-cream in a very thin layer
- At this stage you can insert the popsicle sticks inside each cup. To ensure the sticks stand for the first layer, you can cover the cups in cling wrap and leave just a small hole for the popsicle stick to enter
- Freeze the layer of vanilla
- Repeat steps 1 to 7 till the glasses are full
- Just before eating, gently peel off the plastic cups (make a small tear using scissors) and enjoy!
TIP: Try keeping the ratio of cola to ice-cream 2:1 to ensure a good drip for the popsicle
The picture below was clicked and shared by a friend after a successful attempt: